Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nova Constantia Art Exhibition

Sonja Wilker self portrait

Group Exhibition at Nova Constantia with Judy Moolenschot

Self-portrait.

For more pics view my web album
or my Art blog


Our Art Group exhibited at Nova Constantia in March 2008. People loved the work and had very good comments.

What art means to me
As a child, I always loved drawing and painting and despite winning an award, I was told by a High School teacher that I did not have artistic ability. That remark took thirty years to overcome.

Art has now become an essential part of self-expression which was so often suppressed; especially in my job. Twenty five years of computers exercised my left brain. Then twelve years ago I discovered that making one's mark is gratifying whether through painting, photography, song, crafts and other arts. I have done some Painting and Figure drawing and eventually focussed on Process Art that considers the Product far less important than the act of being creative. This was liberating and I could express my rebellious, non-conformist nature.

While everything else in my life was about producing something, I learnt how to express my responses to the world in the ‘messy’, energetic marks I make. However, I can also ‘behave’ if I have to - or want to.

Texture, colour, contrast, energy and the dynamic dance between them, excite me. I don't mind making ‘mistakes’ as they can be fixed, changed, or used to add layer, movement, and depth.

Some of my paintings have been reproduced as covers for the SA Literary Journal (New Contrast magazine). Others have been published in books as examples of "process”.






No comments: