Monday, March 11, 2013

I broke my arm in August

My hands chopped off?

I am now a bionic woman with a plate in my arm. It hurts when its cold.

Where?

North West Province of South Africa

Canon Camera

I used a Canon 400D Camerawith a Canon 300mm Lens

How did it happen?

We went running to support Pick and Pay cancer walk.  We were late and I was running, looked back to my friend behind me, and tripped over a speedbump.  I fell skew and my arm went 'ding'.  I knew immediately it was broken and badly. On the x-rays it showed it had splintered off lengthwise close to the wrist. 

According to the doctors it couldn't be fixed with plaster of paris only, it needed an operation.  I sat around from Saturday morning till Tuesday before they operated. I don't have medical aid.  I have a hospital plan (Insurance) and they don't man the telephones on weekends so I couldn't find out that I'm not covered for operations where I am in and out of hospital in less than 3 days.  They catch you on the swings and on the roundabouts. I had to cough up the money before they operated.

So by Tuesday I was steaming as you can imagine. I arrived at hospital and even though I had organised with the doctor and the nursing staff, they did not have me on the operating list because the doctor hadn't confirmed.

I threw my toys. They organised.

More than R50,000  and a number of physio sessions later I am still in pain with most things I do.

The following things are painful to do even now more than 6 months later;
  • Tie shoelaces,
  • Wash hair
  • Knitting (impossible)
  • Sewing (with difficulty)
  • Pick up anything heavier than a mug
  • Anything needing dexterity or a bit of precision
  • and so on...
Thanks goodness, typing is getting there.... and I can use my hand and arm, even if not with the full range of motion and power I used to have.  Something is better than nothing. I have great sympathy for anyone who has gone through something similar, be it arm, leg or other body parts.  We take so much for granted.

Do you know what its like for an independent DIY-er to have to ask others to do things for you? F-ing frustrating if you'll excuse my french.

What have I kept myself busy with?

So what have I kept myself busy with the past few months since October, when my arm was remotely usable again?
.  I have created a website for travellers, tourists, people who love to explore, who  have adventure in their blood, who want new experiences, new tastes, see and do new things.  The website will have places to stay and visit, things to do and see, i.e. accommodation, venues, an events calendar, and advertise adventure sports.

At this stage I am building up a portfolio of accommodation and venues. A directory listing is FREE.
Add FREE accommodation Directory Listing
Add FREE Venue Directory Listing
Add FREE Events Calendar Listing

Look for Accommodation in Southern Africa or Find Venues in South Africa for special occasions like Weddings, Conferences, Conventions, Shows and much more.
Look at cities, towns, and settlements for places to stay in any of the provinces of South Africa, or use the QUICKSEARCH facility to find what you are searching for quickly.
Want to know what the weather is like in the places you would like to visit?
Find out What's on in South Africa, in your neck of the woods, or elsewhere in the country on the Events Calendar.

....Besides this

List of Links to Events since I left Cape Town on 1 April 2012

Utopia Nov 2012
Buffelspoort Dam Nov 2012
Olifantsnek Dam Feb 2012
PilanesbergAug 2012
Photography Course Oct 2012
Margaret Roberts Herb Farm
Dikhololo Game Farm July 2012
Overberg April 2012 till end June 2012
Living in Rustenburg July 2012 to date
Broke my arm in August 2012
Cape Town Dec 2012 - Painted my flat and put Hugh's stuff in storage
Mpumalanga Feb 2013 - Kruger Park Lodge - to follow

No comments: