Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Overberg Splendour

My visit in the Overberg

Thanks to Gill and Rob Gimberg for putting me up when I left Hugh, or is it putting up with me?

I loved the early mornings watching the sun come up in all its splendour, sitting in the kitchen sipping coffee, stroking Tigger (one of the 3 cats, the one that resides in the kitchen).

The other cats are Cricket, and Mischief.

When I arrived there everything was bleak and grey.  In January the fire had wiped out all their plants.  They were immensely fortunate that the house didn't burn down too.  Their neighbor's did.

A few rainy days later, the veld started sprouting new green leaves, and was well on its way to recovery when I left.  It was great having to start a new garden from scratch. We put up a fence to keep the 'bokkies' out.  Not sure it would keep the porcupines and hares out though.
Anyway Gill says they are eating potatoes, tomatoes and all kinds of leafy things out of the veggie garden.

I take my hat off to this couple as they are living completely off the grid.  Rainwater gets collected for all necessities, and so is a scarce commodity, especially if it doesn't rain that well. Sun- and wind-power is used to generate electricity.

The toilet is an organic one, - not a long drop thanks goodness.

Compost gets made from all the vegetable cuttings.
This is... you guessed it, Mischief
 Tigger
Cricket, the hunter
Sunset.
 
 
See more pics here of my stay at Overberg
 
The Overberg, what a wonderful place to stay, with Greyton and Caledon close by.
 

Where?

Western Cape Province of South Africa

Canon Camera

I used a Canon 400D Camerawith a Canon 300mm Lens

Links to blogs of events since I left Cape Town on 1 April 2012


Utopia Nov 2012
Buffelspoort Dam Nov 2012
Olifantsnek Dam Feb 2012
PilanesbergAug 2012
Photography Course Oct 2012
Margaret Roberts Herb Farm
Dikhololo Game Farm July 2012
Overberg April 2012 till end June 2012
Living in Rustenburg July 2012 to date
Broke my arm in August 2012

No comments: